Date(s) - 12/10/2017
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Categories No Categories
Join TUC for the 2017 Fish Rescue! For almost two decades, Trout Unlimited Canada has partnered with Alberta Environment and Parks to conduct an annual fall Fish Rescue to save fish trapped in draining irrigation canals with the help of our amazing volunteers and partners.
To date over 880,000 fish have been rescued and returned to their home waters!
As part of our annual Fish Rescue program, funded by Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP), TUC is looking for volunteers to help with Fish Rescue efforts at the Lethbridge Northern Irrigation canal:
Please keep in mind that many of our volunteers have been helping with this event for more than a decade, and as such, may be relied upon to complete certain tasks like dip-netting, more often than other volunteers.
The Fish Rescue draws a lot of great volunteers every year, for this reason, we would ask that in the event you cannot make it to the rescue – please contact us as soon as possible so we can accommodate other volunteers who may be waiting for their chance to participate.
Volunteers should bring the following:
- Clothes for any and all weather conditions (rain gear, warm change of clothes, hat or toque, gloves, jacket)
Sturdy, comfortable boots or shoes.
- Rubber boots, or shoes that you don’t mind getting wet.
- Lunch and snacks.
- Water to drink (we will supply coffee, hot chocolate, juice boxes and a jug of water for refills)
Your own reusable mug and water bottle.
- If you bring a dog, they must be on a leash at all times.
You may also want to bring:
What to Expect?
During the day you will be a crucial part of the rescue, helping Trout Unlimited Canada staff and other volunteers to:
- Fill and carry buckets of water.
- Help transport fish from the canal to the processing area.
- Identify sportfish and non-sportfish.
- Measure sportfish and larger non-sportfish.
- Record data.
- Transport fish to the holding tank.
If you have any questions or concerns about the Fish Rescue, feel free to contact Elliot Lindsay, Project Biologist. Please register below by selecting the Volunteer Opportunities-AB text.
To register use a smartphone please rotate your phone to a horizontal position.